A Merry Madeleine
12 Dec 2017
One of our favourite ways to feel festive at this time of year is a spot of Christmas baking. Our simple Madeleine recipe is ideal for rustling up a homemade gift, a sweet treat for Christmas visitors or for a little self indulgence on a cold December weekend.
1 Large Egg,
60 grams of melted butter
50 grams of plain flour
50 grams of caster sugar
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of baking powder
Plenty of icing sugar for dusting.
1. Preheat the oven to 190C (gas mark 5).
2. Melt the butter gently and use a little to grease the Madeleine pan.
3. In a mixing bowl whisk together the egg and caster sugar until thick and mousse-like.
4. Sift in the flour and baking powder then gently fold in the remaining melted butter.
5. Pour the mixture into the moulds filling each one three quarters of the way up, bake for 7-8 minutes until they are golden.
6. Turn out onto a cooling rack, when cool dust liberally with icing sugar.
(Makes approximately 12 scrumptious Madeleines.)